Allison Hansen, Marquez Principal
B.A. in History and Political Science, Northwestern University
M.A. School Leadership and Administrative Certificate, University of Pennsylvania
Ed.D. Education Leadership with a focus on principal preparation, University of Pennsylvania
A native of Des Moines, Iowa, Allison served as a Teach for America corps member in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, following her college graduation. After teaching 2nd and 5th grades and serving as Principal in Residence, she decided to abandon her plans for law school and work in education. “I wanted to make a difference in the lives of students like those who touched my heart in Baton Rouge,” she said. After completing her graduate education in Philadelphia and her dissertation in Washington, D.C., Dr. Hansen returned to the Chicago area to continue her career in education leadership. She was awed by the transformational classroom teachers at Marquez. “I love facilitating collaborative, innovative ideas that can make a difference for students, then letting our great teachers flourish,” she noted. “Their enthusiasm inspires the students to be respectful, present and eager to learn. We are a family at Marquez and care for every child as our own.”
Contact information: 773-321-2200 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dear Marquez Family, friends, visitors, and future Marquez Marshals,
The Officer Donald J. Marquez Charter School continues to be a beacon of excellence that meets its students where they are and lifts them toward their highest potential. Our passion for learning permeates each classroom, spilling into our hallways and enriching our community! Our initiatives include:
• Eureka math curriculum, including tutoring and homework support, parent resources, and small-group instruction
• New Journeys reading curriculum focused on building students’ vocabulary, comprehension, and love of reading a variety of texts
• New Second Step Social-Emotional Learning curriculum including anti-bullying resources, safety resources, and problem solving resources for all students K-8
• Homework helpers and small groups to personalize instruction
• Individualized support to empower our 8th graders to select a secondary school where they will continue to thrive
• Regular celebrations of improvement, achievement, and citizenship
• Music, Art, Physical Education, and Spanish classes for K-8
• Field trips, which have included trips to Springfield, Washington, D.C., New York City, performances at the Palmer House, visits to see Broadway in Chicago shows, trips to Milennium Park, the Brookfield Zoo, and many many more!
• Extracurricular sports, scouts, and monthly after-school celebrations for families
Students at Marquez feel safe, loved, and empowered. As VIP members of the Marquez family, they look forward to school every day. Students are curious and compassionate collaborators. They make connections, ask big questions, write novels, perform in musicals, cheer on their teammates, sing solos, create masterpieces, create online presentations, build, develop, nurture, play, create, and soar. Students at Marquez will change Chicago and change the world!
Teachers at Marquez are empowered to be role models, professionals, fierce advocates, and lifelong learners. They create small groups, personalize instruction to meet students’ individual needs, and are skilled collaborators dedicated to bringing out the best in their students. Teachers are connected to their students’ families and recognize they are a team with the same goal of educating their students and preparing them for their life journeys.
Family members feel welcomed, safe, and empowered at Marquez. The line between home and school is blurred as families become critical partners in their students’ learning. Families feel at home at Marquez and share their unique traditions, cultures, and passions with the school community as engaged volunteers.
Marquez is a family that warmly welcomes and embraces each one of its members, as well as a laboratory for developing lives that will make the world a better place. Our students, parents, and teachers created and live by our guiding principles:
I work hard and persevere in the face of challenges.
I have a kind and courageous heart.
I strongly advocate for what is right.
I will be better today than I was yesterday.
Work hard. Be kind. Be strong. Be better. Marquez students, teachers, and families strive each day to put the “ACE” in Acero! Please reach out if we can answer any questions or if you would like to schedule a tour of our school.
Allison Hansen, Ed.D.
Principal, Marquez Charter School